Monday, July 21, 2008

'so I sell myself, for the highest price'


Yesterday evening Arthur, Brien and I went to see Woyzeck, a Werner Herzog film based on the Georg Büchner play. It was playing at the Lightblick Kino on Kastanienallee, which is doing a Klaus Kinski retrospective this month (in addition to a Jim Jarmusch retrospective). It’s difficult to really evaluate the film because it was in German and I, you know, don’t really understand German. Arthur had filled me in on the story before the movie, so I could follow along with the plot generally, but none of the specifics.

The film has some beautiful shots, many of which seem to linger a little bit too long. Maybe this was the most interesting for me given my lack of comprehension, because these scenes or parts of scenes exist almost outside the plot, or at least are not strictly necessary for the action of the film. I suppose many directors do this; the one I can think of now is Antonioni.

After the movie we went over to w-imbiss where I got a pretty good burrito.

No comments: