Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lets get this right









Glenn Beck: We actually believed in something in 2000. We believed in something in 2004. It's not really easy to be, you know, the pariah in your office, to be the hate-monger, racist, that wants to steal, or, you know, to starve everybody's children, and just hates anyone who's different. We actually took a lot of crap for a long time, and then you guys betrayed us. Why should we even think twice of pulling a lever again? Fool me once, shame on me.

Michael Steele: Right, right...

GB: Fool me twice? Oh my gosh!!

MS: Yeah, you know, Glenn, I'm not gonna, look I'm not gonna soft peddle this with you, I'm not gonna try to blow smoke either. The reality of this is that you are absolutely right: there's is absolutely no reason, none, to trust our word or our actions at this point. So, yeah, it's gonna be an uphill climb.

GB: I have to tell you Michael, that's refreshing

[end scene]

So, Glenn Beck conservatives are racist, hate-monger, thieves who want to starve your children, and who can't trust the words and actions of the GOP. Considering that the latter has betrayed the values of the former, Beck wonders why conservatives should even think twice about pulling a lever again. Though, I believe he means the opposite - that his viewers should think twice about pulling a lever in the future, that is if Glenn Beck's audience ever thinks once, let alone twice, and if the lever in question is the one I'm hoping it is.

One more minor point of linguistic clarification: It's FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU, FOOL MY TWICE, SHAME ON ME. And it's a Chinese proverb and has nothing to do with Texas.

No wonder my students don't think rhetoric and communication are important in the working world. Now, please, can the idiots get off my internet machine and not come back until 2012. Thank you.

No comments: